DEWY vs MATTE: Which Look Do I Want?
Author: Michelle Teeken Date Posted:24 February 2023
Today we're going to tackle a common makeup dilemma: dewy or matte? It can be overwhelming to decide which look to go for, especially if you're new to makeup. But don't worry, we’re here to help!
In this blog post, we'll dive into the differences between dewy and matte finishes. By the time you've finished reading, you'll have a clearer idea of which finish suits you best and some tips on how to achieve your desired look. So, sit back, relax, and let's get started on your journey to finding your perfect makeup finish!
What's the Difference Between a Dewy or Matte Look?
You may be wondering, what exactly is the difference between a dewy or matte look? Well, let us break it down for you:
· A dewy finish has a radiant, luminous look that gives the appearance of a healthy, glowing complexion. This finish is achieved by using products that contain light-reflecting particles and have a more hydrating formula.
· On the other hand, a matte finish has a flatter, shine-free appearance. This finish is often preferred by those with oily skin as it helps to control shine and gives a more polished, velvety look. Matte finishes are achieved by using products with oil-absorbing properties and a drier texture.
Which Look Should I Go For?
Now that you know the difference between dewy and matte finishes, you may be wondering which one you should go for. Each finish has its own unique benefits and drawbacks, so it's important to consider your skin type and personal preferences before deciding.
DEWY FINISH PROS:
· Gives the skin a luminous and radiant appearance.
· Can help to hydrate and plump up the skin, giving it a youthful appearance.
· Great for those with dry or dull skin, as it can make the skin look more hydrated and healthy.
· Gives a natural, fresh-faced appearance.
· Works well for light or natural makeup looks.
DEWY FINISH CONS:
· Not ideal for those with oily skin, as it can make the skin appear greasy and shiny.
· May accentuate skin imperfections like acne or redness.
· Can wear off more quickly than a matte finish due to its hydrating properties.
· May not be suitable for more formal or professional settings where a more polished look is required.
· May require touch-ups throughout the day to maintain the dewy finish.
MATTE FINISH PROS:
· Provides a polished and professional look.
· Great for those with oily skin, as it helps to control shine throughout the day.
· Helps to create a smooth and even complexion.
· Works well for more formal or professional settings.
· Can make the skin appear velvetier, reducing the appearance of pores and fine lines.
MATTE FINISH CONS:
· May not be ideal for those with dry or mature skin, as it can accentuate fine lines and wrinkles.
· Can sometimes appear flat or lifeless if not applied correctly.
· May require more blending and layering to achieve a natural-looking finish.
· May not be suitable for those looking for a more natural or fresh-faced appearance.
· Can sometimes look heavy or cakey if too much product is applied.
How Do You Achieve a Dewy Finish?
Achieving a dewy finish requires a bit of strategy and the right products.
1. First, it's important to start with a good skincare routine that includes plenty of hydration to plump up the skin. This can include using a hydrating serum, MOISTURIZER, and face mist to prep the skin.
2. Next, choose a lightweight, illuminating foundation or tinted moisturizer to give the skin a glowing appearance.
3. Apply the product with a damp SPONGE or brush to blend it in seamlessly. For an extra boost of dewiness, add a liquid or cream highlighter to the high points of the face such as the cheekbones, brow bone, and cupid's bow.
4. Be sure to set any areas that tend to get oily, such as the T-zone, with a translucent powder to avoid looking too shiny. Use a makeup brush or MAKEUP PUFF and gently press the power onto your face.
5. Finally, finish with a spritz of face mist to set the makeup and add an extra dose of hydration throughout the day.
How Do You Achieve a Matte Finish?
Achieving a matte finish can be done with a few key products and techniques.
1. First, you'll want to start with a good skincare routine that helps to control oil and minimize shine. This can include using a toner to balance the skin's pH levels and control oil production, as well as a lightweight oil-free moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated without adding excess oil.
2. Further prep the skin with a mattifying primer to control oil and minimize the appearance of pores.
3. Next, choose a matte foundation or powder that matches your skin tone and provides a full coverage finish.
4. Apply the product with a dense MAKEUP BRUSH or sponge to ensure even coverage and build up the coverage as needed. To avoid looking flat, add some dimension to the face with a BRONZER AND BLUSH, focusing on the cheekbones and temples.
5. Be sure to set the makeup with a matte setting powder to lock in the coverage and control shine throughout the day. If you tend to get oily throughout the day, keep a pack of blotting papers on hand to absorb any excess oil.
And There You Have It!
Whether you're going for a dewy or matte finish, there are pros and cons to each look depending on your skin type, overall makeup style, and the occasion. By understanding the differences between the two finishes, you can choose the right look for you and create a flawless complexion that makes you feel confident and beautiful. So go ahead, experiment with both dewy and matte finishes and have fun creating your perfect makeup look!
Let us know in the comments which finish you prefer to #GETYOURMODELROCK on with!